[UPDATED] November 17, 2020 (9:23 AM Central Time)
The safety and wellbeing of our students and employees are our top priorities at Texas Coffee School. Texas Coffee School is open for in-person classes in accordance with State and local reopening guidelines. Through each phase of this process we want to maintain transparency and share the steps we are taking to protect our students and employees.
- In accordance with current phase Texas State reopening guidelines, students and employees are being asked to maintain personal separation throughout each day. Since it will not always be feasible for students and employees to maintain six feet of separation at all times, other measures will be necessary. Students and employees will be required to wear self-provided cloth or medical grade face coverings (over the nose and mouth) while inside the Texas Coffee School facility. (While this has been our rule since we reopened, it is also a State and County requirement for all individuals.) If you do not have access to proper face covering, Texas Coffee School can provide one upon your arrival. During any tasting exercises or during lunch break, everyone inside the facility will be able to maintain a minimum of six feet of distancing.
- In accordance with current Texas State reopening guidelines, all incoming students and employees must sanitize their hands upon entering the Texas Coffee School facility. Texas Coffee School will be providing numerous hand washing stations as well as hand sanitizer stations. It will also be strongly encouraged that everyone in the facility practice rigorous hand hygiene, cough etiquette, personal cleanliness, and sanitation. Numerous breaks will be taken throughout the day for everyone to wash hands and for Texas Coffee School staff to sanitize any regularly touched surfaces, such as doorknobs, tables, chairs, restrooms, tools, and equipment.
- All incoming students and employees must monitor personal health closely and use good judgment and consideration of others before attending class, or coming to work. In accordance with Texas State guidelines anyone experiencing any new or worsening signs or symptoms of possible COVID-19 (listed below) in the days or hours leading up to class, must NOT enter the Texas Coffee School facility. (If you are unable to attend your class due to possible COVID-19, we will be more than happy to get you rescheduled for a future class at least 14 days later for no additional charge.)
Possible signs or symptoms of COVID-19
(according to Health Protocols posted by The State of Texas for all Individuals):
– Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
– Repeated shaking with chills
– Muscle pain
– Sore throat
– Loss of taste or smell
– Feeling feverish or a measured temperature greater than or equal to 100.0 degrees Fahrenheit
– Known close contact with a person who is lab confirmed to have COVID-19
- Texas Coffee School is strongly requesting every student (and requiring every employee) take their own temperature at home or at their hotel before going to Texas Coffee School each day. Anyone with a temperature of 100.0 degrees Fahrenheit or greater must NOT enter the Texas Coffee School Facility. (If you are unable to attend your class due to possible COVID-19 or a temperature of 100.0 degrees Fahrenheit or greater, please notify Texas Coffee School by phone or email ASAP and we will be more than happy to get you rescheduled for a future class at least 14 days later for no additional charge.)
- At Texas Coffee School, we have always taken seriously the cleanliness of our training facility. We know it is more important now than ever. Aligned with guidance from Texas State guidelines, we have implemented additional measures for cleaning and disinfecting our training facility including but not limited to:
– Regularly and frequently cleaning and disinfecting any regularly touched surfaces, such as doorknobs, tables, chairs, restrooms, tools, and equipment.
– Making hand sanitizer, soap and water, or similar disinfectant readily available to employees and students.
– Placing readily visible signage on the premises to remind everyone of best hygiene practices according to Texas State guidelines.
- In classes that lunches are provided, Texas Coffee School’s outside food vendors are individually packing each meal for each person, and all individuals will be separated by six feet or more during lunch breaks unless they are in the same party and prefer to sit together.
While Texas Coffee School is taking measures to make students and employees safe, please understand Texas Coffee School does not represent or warrant that any individual of any age that enters the Texas Coffee School premises is free from risk of contracting or spreading the virus that causes COVID-19, which is known to cause possible serious health complications, and possible death in those that contract it, or those they may spread it to. If you choose to enter the Texas Coffee School premises, you (i) agree that you are doing so completely at your own risk, (ii) you understand you may be putting others at risk of contracting the virus that causes COVID-19 after leaving the Texas Coffee School premises, and (iii) you have read, understand, and agree to Texas Coffee School Terms & Conditions including but not limited to “SECTION 6: LIMITATION OF LIABILITY”.
“What if my class gets postponed due to the COVID-19 Situation Changing?”
We are monitoring the COVID-19 situation closely on a day-to-day basis. If at any point we must postpone any classes due to COVID-19, we will notify each student in advance and we will place their registration on hold. Then, we will provide students one of the following options:
- OPTION ONE: We can reschedule you into a later class date that has seating still available. Because it may difficult to know what personal schedules will be in the coming weeks and months, we will allow students to keep their registrations on hold for up to 1 year from the original class date. We can load your registration onto a gift certificate and when you see a class date that works for you, just use it to register. This way there is plenty of time to assess class schedules and personal schedules and make plans. This will also ensure there are plenty of class dates to choose from. Additionally, under these circumstances we will have no rescheduling fees.
- OPTION TWO: If you register for our 3-Day Coffee Business Master Class and we have to postpone it due to the COVID-19 situation, the coffee business education and resources are something we can provide you without any disruption to your plans! We have implemented a live streaming virtual classroom capability so you can attend the full step-by-step coffee business start-up lecture portion of your class on your computer, tablet, or phone from the comfort of your home on the same day you were scheduled to start class.
We will provide you ALL the business class handouts, notes, and resources before class begins (including equipment lists, shop layouts, business plan information, vendor lists, spreadsheets, resources, etc.) so you can follow along just like you would in our classroom.
The lecture and experience would be no different than if you were attending in person. This is a live lecture. We have a professional camera and microphone set up at the front of the classroom so you can experience it the same as you would from your seat if you were here. You will also be able to participate in the Q&A session just like if you were attending in person. Our virtual classroom allows 2 way vocal communication between the instructor and students. (So far we’ve had 100% positive feedback from students that have attended our virtual class!)
This way you can get all the vital information, explanation, and resources you need to get through the start-up phase of launching your coffee business without any disruption to your original plans.
Once the COVID-19 situation subsides we can get you scheduled to come into to our facility and receive your 2 days of hands-on coffee education and barista training.
“Do you offer your Coffee Business Class in a live streaming online format?”
Yes! You can sign up for our 1-Day How To Open a Coffee Shop – Live Streaming Online Class. If you need hands-on coffee education at any point, you can sign up for our 2-Day Barista Training Class.
“Have you modified coffee cupping procedures?”
Yes! Back in February 2020 we indefinitely suspended all traditional SCA coffee cupping protocols/activities. We created a modified protocol where everyone gets their own individual/personal station with their own personal set of cups and tools. Each station has one cup of each sample coffee. We grind a batch of each sample coffee together and then weigh out the ground coffee into the individual cups at each individual station. This way everyone can still have a cupping experience without sharing cups or having any chance of cross contamination.
Price Increase Transparency
We recently had to implement a small price increase to our classes for several reasons. The first reason is the cost of doing business has increased dramatically since the COVID-19 pandemic began. Class supplies and student lunches alone have increased by more than 25% across the board. In addition, our State government forced all “non-essential businesses” to close and remain closed for nearly 2.5 months back in the spring. This completely halted all of our incoming revenue. Once we were able to reopen, we had to implement many costly safety measures to be in compliance with State and local reopening guidelines. These mandated guidelines also put extreme limitations on our class capacity for many months. These capacity limitations have severely limited our earning capabilities. For all of these reasons collectively we had to implement a small price increase. We hope you understand and will continue to support our small business and other small businesses as well!